Thank you to Christine and Rob who sent us in a limo last night to enjoy the Christmas lights of Surrey. It was a great way to chill out after the tough day we had. Ben had been unable to do the MRI earlier because he was simply in too much pain. He ended up doing a CT, and we figured the results were less then ideal when the radiologist neatly maneuvered around our question “what did you see?” She told us that Dr H would call us later. Hmmm.
Dr H did call later, but first we were treated to this:
Once we got home I spoke to Dr H on the phone and she explained that there had been rapid progression with the disease. There is an additional large tumour in Ben’s “stomach” (not really his stomach, but I can’t recall the medical word she used). Somewhere in that area. As we later found out, there had been no sign of that tumour even two weeks ago.
This morning The Saint-Onge Five packed up and headed off to see the thoracic surgeon about the fluid build up in Ben’s chest. He talked about doing surgery and told us it would be a four week wait to get the surgery once Ben made a decision to do it (if he decided to do it). Another option is to have a respirologist continue to drain the fluid like they did in the hospital. We said we’d think about it, and we left.
We drove down to see Dr H who had asked me to bring everyone in to see her today. She said she would fit us in. That is probably never a good thing when a very busy specialist offers to “fit you in.”
Barb arrived at the hospital, and the six of us met with Dr H. She re-explained what she said about the disease progression, and then she said (and I write this with Ben’s full knowledge and permission) that there is no evidence to suggest the Nivolumab is working, and if that is the case he may only have weeks to live.
We are shattered. Not The Titan.